Categorized | Sports

Cards win thriller in Millington 28-27

By Thomas Sellers Jr.

Brighton Head Coach Will Wolfe jumps into a celebration with his players moments after winning 28-27 at Millington.

In one of the most eventful final minutes in a long time, the Brighton Cardinals hold on to beat the Millington Trojans 28-27 tonight.

The Cardinals got the go-ahead score with a minute and 29 seconds remaining when senior wide out Artez Harris caught a 47-yard touchdown from fellow senior Brady Stewart.

It was the job of the Brighton defense to hold on to the victory. And it appeared the Cardinals did just that when Antonio Dickerson made an interception deep in Millington territory. But as he returned the ball, the fumbled and the Trojans recovered.

Moments later Dickerson made anther pick with his feet just out of bounds near the pylon. The Trojans tried to set up for the field goal giving the ball to senior running back Antonio Webber for a 15 yard gain to the 18 yard line.

That set up a 35 yard field try for the Millington kicker. The ball just missed by a foot wide right sending the Cardinal sideline into full celebration mode as time expired.

Early in the game Brighton and Millington received touchdowns via interceptions with George Odum scoring for Millington from 25 yards out. Cardinal Bryant Conner returned his pick 95 yards to the house.

Webber had two touchdowns on the night one running and a 2-yard TD catch from quarterback Allen Moore. Moore also hooked up with Lakeron Garcia for a touchdown.

Stewart was busy tossing three touchdowns with his first to Malcolm Terry. Harris was on the receiving end of the other two passes.

Millington will try to bounce back next Friday traveling to Cordova. Meanwhile the Cardinals get ready for another rivlary game traveling to Munford. The Cougars picked up a 60-0 Homecoming win tonight over Northside.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


September 2012
« Aug   Oct »