Categorized | News

Solid as a Brick

Star Staff Reports

Almost two years after it was demolished, bricks from Old Town Hall have returned to the

corner of Atoka-Munford Avenue and Main Street – welcoming residents and visitors alike to Town

and improving the appearance of one of Atoka’s busiest intersections.

The bricks making up the Old Town Wall have been a fixture on that corner for more than 80 years and

we hope they are there – welcoming folks to Atoka – for the next 80 years as well. A seasonal flowerbed

in front of the wall and trees behind will be added in the coming months to further improve the corner.

The Tennessee General Assembly passed a charter in March of 1875 expanding and renaming the town “Atoka”.

Things get a little fuzzy from there but perhaps it was 1876 before a formal Town government was established and seated.

Other signs around town reference the 1876 date so we stuck with it for the Old Town Wall.  The Town

gave up its charter and became an unincorporated area in 1883 and was re-chartered in 1911

(hence the Centennial Celebration in 2011) and this time, the charter stuck. 

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Calendar

November 2012
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930