Categorized | Sports

Trojans outlast Bears in an overtime thriller on the road

By Thomas Sellers Jr.Trojans Browning upcourt Trojans Jordan Browning rebound Trojans Roddarius Pitts layup

MEMPHIS — Games like the one that played out Dec. 2 in the Trezevant Gymnasium seemed to slip away from the Millington Trojans the past two years.
Those games typically were a close games with Rob Sabau’s Trojans holding a late advantage. The opponent managed to comeback to either tie the contest or take the lead. And when the final buzzer would sound, Millington would be leaving the court in disappointment letting one slip away.
But after Trezevant Bear forward Torry Nabone scored on a put-back layup to deadlock the game at 53-53 late in the fourth quarter, the Trojans regrouped heading into overtime to pull out a 62-57 victory.
The contest with the Bears was a close one throughout the night with Trezevant holding a 14-10 lead after the first quarter. The Trojans even up the score by halftime at 26-26.
With Millington behind 16-10, Trojan guard Roddarius Pitts drained a three-pointer to cut the deficit in half. Martvein Pointer answered Pitt’s three-pointer with a triple to make the score 19-13.
Then it was time for Millington guard LaKeron Garcia to display his long range shooting hitting a trey to make the score 19-16.
Jordan Browning drew Millington within one point with a layup. Moments later Browning used his passing skills to tie the game at 20-20.
The senior guard located teammates Julian Daughtry with a bullet pass leading to a layup. Millington took the lead when forward Devynn Brandon made a pair of foul shots.
Trezevant regained the lead at 24-23 setting the table for Pitts. He concluded the second quarter how he started it with a three-pointer to give Millington a 26-24 lead. The Bears scored on a layup to deadlock the first half at 26-26.
The back and forth pace of the game continued in the third quarter with Millington using buckets from Pitts, Brandon and Garcia to hold the lead at the end of the period. The Bears received contribution from guard Nick Pryor and post player Bradley Robertson to only trail 41-40 heading into the fourth quarter.
In the final period of regulation the Trojans jumped ahead 52-46 with less than three minutes remaining. Then the Bears responded with a 7-1 run down the stretch to tie the game at 53-53.
In overtime Trezevant held the lead at 55-54. Millington had the final run of the night outscoring Trezevant 8-2 to leave Memphis with a victory.
With the score tied at 57-57, Browning broke the tie with a three-pointer. Then a pair of foul shots from Brandon iced the game in favor of the Trojans.

YouTube Preview Image

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


December 2013
« Nov   Jan »