MLGW crews continue to work to restore power to customers. Since noon on Sunday, MLGW crews have restored power to more than 62,000 customers. Around 13,000 customers are still without electricity. MLGW crews will continue to work today to restore power. MLGW is estimating it may take several days to have power restored to all customers.
Downed trees weighed with ice and power lines are the primary cause of these outages; damage is spread across Shelby County with more damage occurring north of I-40, in the Raleigh/Frayser and Shelby Forrest areas.
Nine mutual aid crews are currently assisting MLGW crews. Additional crews have been delayed due to icy road conditions in Missouri and Indiana.
Bill Payment Inquiries: 544-6549
Water Pipes: Water pipes can burst anytime temperatures are below freezing. A burst water pipe or water heater is considered to be an emergency situation and could pose a danger of flooding the building.
Space Heaters and Gas Appliances: To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, make sure that all natural gas appliances, such as your water heater, furnace and space heaters, are vented outside. Keep chimneys and flues clear of all debris, and use gas space heaters only according to manufacturers’ instructions. We also recommend that you have your gas appliances inspected annually by a licensed professional.
Do not use space heaters overnight and when no one is home. Position space heaters so they are not positioned near flammable objects. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical assistance immediately and move the victim, if possible, to a well-ventilated area, then call our 24-hour emergency number, 528-4465.
A generator should only be operated in a well-ventilated and dry area, away from air intakes to the home. It should be protected from direct exposure to rain and snow, preferably under a canopy, open shed or carport.
Do not attempt to restore power to your entire house by plugging the generator into a wall outlet. The electricity produced by a generator cannot only ruin your home’s wiring and start a fire, it can also feed back into the utility system and energize a line thought to be without power possibly killing utility workers trying to restore power. It can also cause damage to the generator when electric service is restored.