Star Staff Reports
“Shelby County citizens are encouraged to stay weather ready,” said Dale Lane, Director Shelby County Office of Preparedness (SCOP). The National Weather Service (NWS) predicts a wide range of temperatures and precipitations this weekend.”
Friday: 50 percent chance of showers, breezy, 52 to 60 degrees
Saturday: 40 to 70 percent chance of showers, thunderstorms, 30 mph wind gusts, a high of 73. Saturday evening, possible freezing rain and pellets after midnight, a low of 27, winds 15 to 20 mph, and 30 mph gusts. Little to no ice accumulation expected. Sleet less than 1⁄2 inch is possible.
- Listen to the forecasts. Upload the ReadyTN mobile app (www.tnema.org/ReadyTN/mobile-app.html).
- Dress for the weather (light layers under a heavy coat, socks, boots, mittens, scarf).
- Avoid unnecessary driving.
- Check road conditions at the TDOT (www.tn.gov/tdot).
- Let others know your intended route and time of arrival. Travel with a buddy.
- Have a full tank of gas.
- Have an emergency auto kit to include: Cell phone and charger, NOAA all-hazards
battery-powered radio, flashlight and batteries, blankets, bottled water, non-perishable food,
ice scraper, jumper cables, rock salt, sand, shovel, HELP/OK sign.
- Be cautious on bridges and overpasses.
- Drive defensively: keep your seatbelt on, keep your headlights on, go slow, don’t follow too
closely, and go easy on your brakes. If you slide, turn into the slide.
National Weather Service: www.weather.gov