• Home
  • >
  • Education
  • >
  • School Board contracts with company to develop Strategic Plan for district

School Board contracts with company to develop Strategic Plan for district

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

By Bill Short

The Millington School Board has unanimously approved a contract with a company to develop a Strategic Plan for the school district.

Board members took the action during their March 2 regular monthly meeting on a motion offered by Chris Denson and seconded by Amanda Compton.

The contract is with Southern Educational Strategies LLC to provide the following services for the municipal school system: 

(1) with input from faculty, staff, parents, corporate and community stakeholders, development of a “comprehensive” strategic plan that includes “measurable” short, intermediate and long-range goals to guide the operation of the school district for the next five years;

(2) development of the estimated Pre-K through 12th grade student enrollment and city

population growth projections during the five-year period;

(3) development of a report describing the processes that could be implemented at

every school in the district to ensure that local School Improvement Plans are “coherently aligned” with the goals and objectives of the District Improvement Plan.

Funding has been identified in the fiscal year 2026 General Fund Budget.

The parties agree that:

(1) As directed by James “Bo” Griffin, superintendent of Millington Municipal Schools, SES partners and associates will confer with individuals involved in the school system to develop and produce the data and reports.

These communications can be in person, in writing, by telephone, computer video conference or any other electronic means.

(2) The school system will pay SES a total fee of $123,000 in the following installments:

     (a) $41,000 within 10 business days after the execution date of this contract;

     (b) $41,000 when approximately 50 percent of the work has been completed, as evidenced by

an interim report from SES;

     (c) $41,000 within 10 business days after submission of the final documents.

(3) If requested by Griffin, one SES partner and/or associate will meet in person with the School Board and the superintendent to discuss the consulting services proposed in the contract.

No payment to SES will be expected for that initial meeting.

After the contract is executed, the $123,000 fee will include travel and expenses costs for a maximum of five on-site visits in Millington by either of the two SES founding partners and the senior associate from the SES team.

If additional on-site visits are requested or required to complete the projects, each consultant will

be compensated in the amount of $850 per person per day. Receipts will be provided for all expenses regarding additional on-site visits.

(4) Dr. Tim Fite and Dr. James B. Mitchell Jr. are the SES founding partners who will provide a majority of the consulting services described in the contract.

SES also expects to use the services of Dr. Fred D. Johnson, its senior associate, as well as Matthew Cropper, its geographic information systems specialist.

(5) For the duration of the contract, SES will maintain and provide the school system a certificate of professional liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000.

SES and its associates have proposed to complete all three products listed in the Scope of Services with “deliverables” provided no later than Aug. 3 of this year.

During discussion shortly before the vote, Griffin said the district recently learned that it will acquire Lucy Elementary School from the Memphis/Shelby County School System “a year early,” instead of on June 15, 2027.

Noting that he is appointing a committee, the superintendent said he had already contacted 10 of its 13 members and is seeking volunteers.

While expressing appreciation to all the parents who have gotten involved as “stakeholders,” Griffin said the committee has “representation” from Naval Support Activity Mid-South and the Millington Board of Mayor and Aldermen.

It also includes a resident who has no children in the school system.

The goal is to obtain everyone’s “thoughts and opinions on moving forward” with Lucy Elementary, as well as the Primary, Intermediate and high school.

Although the committee will begin meeting in April, Griffin said a “survey” will be conducted for two weeks after Spring Break.

In response to a question by board member Theresa Cook, he said one of the important things that SES will “bring to the table” is its ability to examine the “demographics and growth patterns” of the city.

Board Chairman Barbara Halliburton asked if a special meeting needs to be called to approve the committee, so the proposed “timeline” for SES to present its products will not be delayed. 

Griffin replied that it can do so if it “chooses,” but it is not necessary. 

“The committee won’t be doing any work until we get the survey back,” he acknowledged. “And then, we’re going to look at that information.”

In the meantime, he said, SES will prepare the demographic and growth charts, so the district can make the “best decision” on how to “fill” its new schools moving forward.

Board member Cody Childress recalled that SES was “very instrumental” in helping the city establish its municipal school system in 2013.

“As a matter of fact,” he said, “it was involved before we even had elections. And it worked with us closely through the first 12 months.”

Related Posts